Suspension Training is in use by the physiotherapists since the World War, to rehabilitate injured soldiers, amputees and the polio affected children. Now it has taken a new avatar and has found its way into the health clubs, with rehab specialists, athletic trainers, personal trainers, athletes, fitness enthusiasts and others as a core training tool., providing functional training workouts.
Suspension training is a type of bodyweight exercise in which a variety of multi-planar, compound exercise movements can be performed using non-elastic, length adjustable ropes, slings and handles. These are done with the aim of developing strength, balance, flexibility, core and joint stability simultaneously. Suspension training can be considered a type of resistance training. These suspension exercise programmes are changing the way athletes train for sports, soldiers train for combat, physiotherapists rehabilitate patients and exercise instructors train their clients.
Pros and Cons
Proponents of suspension training argue that it develops core body strength, as well as joint and muscular stability. It also has a role in preventing lower back injuries in daily life and in sports, as it strengthens and activates the deeper core muscles, the Transverse abdominus and Multifidus. Suspension Training also finds its way in advance back and shoulder rehab.Some sports scientists have expressed concern that weaker individuals may not have the core stability or joint integrity to use the system safely and effectively. Beginners however can start safely with the low intensity workout, which puts less demand on the core and balance.
Care should be taken that the point of suspension should be sturdy; the right length of the straps/rope is maintained and proper execution of the exercise with right technique. Also, it’s important to frequently inspect for the wear and tear of the rope / strap. Because of its demands on the core, Suspension Training essentially turns every movement into a total-body one, reducing the chance of injury. Equally notable is the versatility and ease of transportation of suspension kit by the athletes or the physio.
- Upper Body Work outs that can be performed are: Push ups; Triceps Dip; Incline pullups; Chest press; reverse fly; biceps curls etc.,which almost cover all the major muscles of upper body
- For the CORE (mid section): Plank; Knee to Chest; Oblique crunches; Pelvic Bridging, side plank…
- For the Lower Body: High Knees, Squats, Lunges, Hip Abduction and Adduction…
A good warm up and cool down are mandatory. People with orthopedic ailments better to consult their doctor or physiotherapist, before starting on one. Rubber flooring is well suited for better gripping and for soft landing in case of equipment failure.Courtesy: O2 Health Studio
- It is a highly portable performance training tool that leverages gravity and the user’s body weight to enable hundreds of exercises for every fitness goal.
- It is an effective total body workout
- Benefits people of all fitness levels
- Can be set-up anywhere indoors and outdoors
O2 Health Studio:
- @ No: 23/35, 10th Avenue, Ashok Nagar, Chennai
- Contact: Farah Banu (Asst. Manager) - 9094791924
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Currently, Suspension Training is available at O2 Ashok Nagar and Neelangarai, and Bodylyrics at Savera Hotel.
Popularity: 1% [?]