UPGRADE How Nokia S40 owners can access the Internet without any restriction. SRIRAM SRIDHARAN
I’ve always been frustrated that I couldn’t use the Opera Mini or Gmail apps on my Nokia 5610 Xpress Music. Even though I had a working data plan, I would get a message saying “Unable to connect” or “Needs a working Internet connection” or something similar. I recently found out that this was due to Nokia excluding a proxy setting for the Access Point. (A list of Nokia S40 phones: http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/matrix_s40_1.html)
Here’s what to do…
What you’ll need:
- The .prov file for your operator
- Two phones with Bluetooth
How to go about it:
- Download the archive here: http://drop.io/nokias40 Find the folder with your operator’s name on it.
- Copy the NokiaJAVAProxy.prov file to the friend’s cellphone.
- Switch on your Bluetooth and ask your friend to send you the file. (Needs object push mode, hence will not work with simple PC-phone transfers.)
- You don’t need to transfer the .xml files.
- Save the settings and select the new proxy setting in your phone. Done!
Give it a spin by trying the Gmail App that can be downloaded here: ttp://www.google.com/mobile/default/mail.html Please refer to readme.txt inside the zip file if you have any questions. I did not code the .prov files so I cannot answer your queries. And you’ll still have to pay the data transfer charges for your plan. The files and methods used here are legal. Nokia actually provides documentation on coding the .prov files.Sriram has completed his engineering from Satyabama University in 2008.
BPL Mobile (India)
Popularity: 1% [?]